“Action is the foundational key to all success!”
That’s the email signature that comes attached to an email from Traverse City’s Clerk’s office and it is spot on. Recently, they emailed out a press release seeking applicants willing to sit on a number of City boards and commissions with openings this fall.
These bodies are where civic engagement truly goes beyond the squeaky wheel. I encourage anyone with an interest and passion for community to send in an application (PDF) and see where it leads. Please apply if you are ready to learn about community resources and work with neighbors to make our community better.
I’ve served on the Parks and Recreation Commission for three years and currently serve on the Planning Commission. If you would like to sit down and talk about serving before you apply, please send me a message and let’s meet over coffee to chat.
I’d like to give a special shout out to the Traverse Area District Library Board, which overseas the $4.6 million dollar budget that makes all this possible. The City Commission selects two representatives of the district’s seven member board. In the coming years, TADL will be seeking to renew its operating millage, so forward thinking and solid leadership is needed.
The following boards and commissions have openings this fall/winter.
A strong Traverse City needs you!
Mayoral Appointment with City Commission Approval
- Local Officers Compensation Commission – (4/5 Vacancies, must be registered city voters) Without policy making authority, approves the City Clerk’s appointment of election inspectors and approves ballot printing in the case of a city election.This commission makes a recommendation regarding the compensation of city board and commission members under the jurisdiction of the City Commission. 5-Year terms. Meets every odd-numbered year.
Upcoming Vacancies – Mayoral Appointments w/ City Commission Approval
- Planning Commission – (11/11/2013) 2 Term Expirations – must be residents of Traverse City. (3 year terms) The purpose of this commission is to prepare and adopt master plan for the city; and to review developmental proposals.
- Housing Commission – (11/30/2013) 1 Term Expiration (5 year term) The purpose of this commission is to eliminate housing conditions which are detrimental to the public peace, health, safety, morals or welfare.
Upcoming Vacancies – City Commission Appointments
- Election Commission – (12/9/13) 1 Term Expiration – must be a registered voter of Traverse City (3 year term). The purpose of this commission is to appoint election inspectors and to approve printing of City election ballots.
- Traverse Area District Library Board – (12/31/13) 2 Term Expirations – must be residents of Traverse City (4 year terms) The purpose of this board is to formulate policy and set budget for the Traverse Area District Library.
- Board of Tax Review – (12/31/13) 1 Term Expiration – must be citizen of Traverse City and an owner or property assessed for taxes in the city. (3 year term). The purpose of this board is to examine, review, and correct the assessment roll.
Source: City of Traverse City website.